Contact: Arthur Hu 425-814-2183 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.leconsulting.com/arthurhu/index/edreform.htm 12422 107th pl NE Kirkland WA
Concerned LWSD Education Consumers Wanted
Marc Tucker NCEE Theodore Sizer Outcome Based Education Progressive Education Total Quality Management Higher Standards Raising the Bar Standards Based Reform NCTM Whole Language Invented Spelling Invented Math Integrated Thematic Curriculum Constructivism All Will Suceed EALR School To Work Deeper Learning Direct Instruction Block Scheduling
Unlike Texas where citizens have formed "education consumer" groups which take a critical look at "education reform", the Lake Washington School District has no outlet where citizens can learn how to prevent "train wrecks" caused by Bad Education Fads. We need to create a critical mass of parents who can organize regular meetings to balance the one-sided public relations machine of Curriculum Director Julie Goldsmith to create an artificial "consensus" supporting the destruction of Traditional Education.
http://www.nctm.org/jrme/abstracts/volume_30/vol30-01-hiebert.html by James Hiebert
LWSD is currently finalizing "Performance-Based" Graduation requirements
Certificate of Mastery is tied to invalid WASL scores
"Demonstration of performance mastery" requires failing of C and D average students when no valid definition of "proficient" exists
School To Work forces even the college bound to spend class time travelling to work with no pay. Germany requires only the non-academic track to spend high school tightening bolts for Volkswagen.
Mandatory Volunteerism will be required of all students, regardless of personal objections.
Mandatory senior project despite problems at Eastlake.
Littleton Colorado reacted so strongly they voted out the school board in order to stop Performance requirements
- The 4th Grade WASL Assessment is a test of skills which match State EALR benchmarks at grades 7, 10, or above. It is subjectively scored, and is as expensive as it is unreliable.
- Education Reform seeks a "paradigm shift" away from teaching established facts and methods towards "facilitating invention and construction of knowledge"
- Break the system "root and branch" through "Outcome Based Education" and its variants. Kindergarten gets first grade reading and writing homework Some first graders are expected to start able to write sentences, and do 2 digit addition as homework with no prior exposure
- LWSD is adopting "Performance" report cards which have caused so much confusion Federal Way is already dropping their adoption.
- LWSD has just adopted the controversial Dale Seymour's "Investigations" and Connected Mathematics as K-6 math standard with no public debate. Rated "F" unacceptable at //www.mathematicallycorrect.com/books.htm. Opposed in Plano Texas and Portland Oregon. Instruction of adding and subtracting with carry / borrow is replaced with "invention" of any creative solution. Has resulted in drastic failure in schools across the nation including Riverside California in the district's own handout introducing "invented" math at
For More Information:
http://www.eskimo.com/~cure/ CURE - Citizens United for Responsible Education (WA)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com:80/homepages/mathman Mathematically Correct
http://www.i2i.org/SuptDocs/Education/Outcomes%20Go.htm Littleton Gets Rid of OBE graduation requirements
http://education-consumers.com Education Consumers . com
mailto:email@example.com National Education Loop
http://www.leconsulting.com/arthurhu/index/edreform.htm Guide to Education Deform